Suitable for: Absolute beginners. Enjoyable for everybody.
Course length: 12 weeks – afternoons or evenings
or 5 weeks on Sundays.
Dates: See below for individual dates/times.
Key tools: Marking tools, hand saws, chisels, hand planes.
Project: A pine framed side table with a plywood top.
In this throw away age, when all the furniture we own is assembled and not built, we are pleased to offer an opportunity to spend some precious time learning how to use ageless tools to make something everlasting from wood.
Using a mixture of traditional hand tools and modern drills and saws, experienced craftswoman Ruth Thomson will guide and inspire you as she teaches age old techniques in carpentry. As you begin making objects traditionally constructed from seasoned pine, you will learn how to use and care for chisels, saws, planes and spoke-shaves. Ruth is an experienced carpenter and teacher. She conveys her skillful practical experience with light-hearted humour
Students will work on a variety of exercises – designed to incorporate simple to advanced joints and tools that build confidence and independence.
Over 12 weeks, we will cover many aspects of traditional carpentry tuition. There will be lots of practical exercises in each session where you will begin to make a simple frame table that you will take home.
Step I – We will get familiar with some tools of the trade:
– Introducing basic tools. Equipping a toolbox for home carpentry.
– Timber selection/marking out and cutting. Tips on woods, saws and drills.
– Using a plane, different types of planes. Sharpening tips and practice.
– Using a chisel and its uses. Sharpening tips and practice.
Step II – You will use planes, chisels and marking tools:
– Simple joints and why we use them.
– Half joints, lap joints. Practice using chisels and planes.
– Bridle joints and a mortise and tenon
Step III – You will make a simple project to take home:
It’s fast paced but with the support of Ruth, you will complete your own project to make a simple frame and legs for a small table
– Work from selected pine and measure, mark and cut pieces.
– Choose and make joints, assemble and secure with adhesive or screws.
– Sand and smooth to a stage where your project is ready for staining or waxing and taken home with pride.
|Start day||Date||Start time||End time||Course name||Course length||Price||Good to Know||Details||Register|
|Mon||08/01/2018||14:30||17:00||CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - 12 AFTERNOONS - WOOD TABLE||12 Weeks||£695||Make a wooden table!||Details||Register|
|Mon||08/01/2018||18:30||21:00||CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - 12 EVENINGS - WOOD TABLE||11 or 12 weeks||£625||Make a wood table!||Details||Register|
|Mon||16/04/2018||14:30||17:00||CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - 12 AFTERNOONS - WOOD TABLE||12 Weeks||£695||Make a wooden table!||Details||Register|
|Mon||16/04/2018||18:30||21:00||CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - 12 EVENINGS - WOOD TABLE||11 or 12 weeks||£625||Make a wood table!||Details||Register|