Five consecutive days: Saturday 8th – Wednesday 12th April. 10am – 5pm.
A fabulous five day ‘Carpentry for beginners’ course, this is an opportunity to learn an array of woodwork skills in a short set of wonderfully absorbing days.
Using a mixture of traditional hand tools and modern drills and saws, experienced craftswoman Ruth Thomson will guide and inspire you as she teaches age old techniques in carpentry. As you begin making objects traditionally constructed from seasoned pine, you will learn how to use and care for chisels, saws, planes and spoke-shaves. Ruth is an experienced carpenter and teacher. She conveys her skillful practical experience with light-hearted humour.
Students will work on a variety of exercises – designed to incorporate simple to advanced joints and tools that build confidence and independence.
Over five days, we will cover many aspects of traditional carpentry tuition. There will be lots of practical exercises in each session. From day 3, you will begin to make a simple frame table that you will take home.
– Introducing basic tools. Equipping a toolbox for home carpentry.
– Timber selection/marking out and cutting. Tips on woods, saws and drills.
– Using a plane, different types of planes. Sharpening tips and practice.
– Using a chisel and its uses. Sharpening tips and practice.
– Simple joints and why we use them.
– Half joints, lap joints. Practice using chisels and planes.
– Bridle joints and a mortise and tenon
It’s fast paced but with the support of Ruth, you will complete your own project to make a simple frame and legs for a small table
– Work from selected pine and measure, mark and cut pieces.
– Choose and make joints, assemble and secure with adhesive or screws.
– Sand and smooth to a stage where your project is ready for staining or waxing and taken home with pride.
End Time: 17:00