Take home a fabulously useful set of steps, beautifully crafted with ‘Through tenons’ and ‘shoulder’ joints. Measurements are: 53cm H x 50cm W and 55cm D when open.
Using a mixture of traditional hand tools and modern drills and saws, expert furniture maker Ben Rawlinson will guide and inspire you as she teaches age old techniques in carpentry. As you begin learning how to make traditional wood joints in seasoned redwood, you will learn how to use and care for chisels, saws, planes and marking gauges. Ben is our resident furniture maker and tutor in our advanced wood work courses.
Learners will work on a variety of exercises – designed to incorporate simple to advanced joints and tools that build confidence and independence.
Over 5 consecutive days Saturday 29th July – Wednesday 2nd August, we will cover many aspects of traditional carpentry tuition. There will be lots of practical exercises in each session including a project to make a small set of steps that you will take home.
Step I – We will get familiar with some tools of the trade:
– Introducing basic tools. Equipping a toolbox for home carpentry.
– Timber selection/marking out and cutting. Cutting accurately with a hand saw
– Using a plane, different types of planes. Sharpening tips and practice.
– Using a chisel and its uses. Sharpening tips and practice.
Step II – You will use planes, chisels and marking tools:
– Simple joints and why we use them.
– Half joints, lap joints. Practice using chisels and planes.
– Bridle joints and a mortise and tenon
Step III – You will make a simple project to take home:
It’s fast paced but with the support of Ruth, you will complete your own project to make a small set of steps.
– Work from selected pine and measure, mark and cut pieces.
– Choose and make joints, assemble and secure with adhesive or screws.
– Sand and smooth to a stage where your project is ready for staining or waxing and taken home with pride.
All personal protection, the use of tools and basic materials are included.
Register for this event
Course Dates: 29/07, 30/07, 31/07, 01/08, 02,08
End Time: 17:00