In this throw away age, when all the furniture we own is assembled and not built, we are pleased to offer an opportunity to spend some precious time learning how to use ageless tools to make something everlasting from wood.
Using a mixture of vintage hand tools and modern power tools, experienced craftsman Andy Nicholl will guide and inspire you as he teaches age old techniques in carpentry. As you begin making objects traditionally constructed from seasoned pine, you will learn how to use and care for chisels, saws, planes and spoke-shaves. Andy is passionate about carpentry and craftsmanship. He conveys his skillful practical experience with light-hearted patience.
Students will work on a variety of exercises – designed to incorporate simple to advanced joints, adhesives and tools that build confidence and independence.
Over 12 weeks, we will cover many aspects of traditional carpentry tuition. There will be lots of practical exercises in each session.
Step I – We will get familiar with some tools of the trade:
– Introducing basic tools. Equipping a toolbox for home carpentry.
– Timber selection/marking out and cutting. Tips on woods, saws and drills.
– Using a plane, different types of planes. Sharpening tips and practice.
– Using a chisel and letting-in a hinge. Sharpening tips and practice.
Step II – You will use planes, chisels and marking tools:
– Simple joints and why we use them.
– Half joints, lap joints. Practice using chisels and planes.
– Bridle joints and even a simple dovetail.
Step III – You will make a simple project to take home:
It’s fast paced but with the support of the tutors, over the final six weeks you will complete your own project to make a simple traditional tool box or shelf:
– Work from selected pine and measure, mark and cut pieces.
– Choose and make joints, assemble and secure with adhesive or screws.
– Sand and smooth to a stage where your project is ready for staining or waxing and taken home with pride.
All personal protection, the use of tools and basic materials are included.
This series of workshops will run Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm – 9:00pmRegister for this event
We're sorry, but ticket sales have been closed at this time. Please check back again later.