Suitable for: Absolute beginners and those with rusty skills.
Course length: 12 weeks/30 hours or 5 weeks/30 hours if taking a weekend series.
Dates: One eve/afternoon a week or Saturdays - see individual courses below for start dates/times.
Key tools: Saws, drills, chisels, planes, joints, dovetails.
Learning: Basic joints used in household woodwork.
Project: Open Tool Box or Shelf & Brackets.
In this throw away age, when all the furniture we own is assembled and not built, we are pleased to offer an opportunity to spend some precious time learning how to use ageless tools to make something everlasting from wood.
Using a mixture of vintage hand tools and modern power tools, experienced crafts(wo)men Andy Nicholl or Ruth Thompson will guide and inspire you as they teache age old techniques in carpentry. As you begin making objects traditionally constructed from seasoned pine, you will learn how to use and care for chisels, saws, planes and spoke-shaves. Andy and Ruth are both passionate about carpentry and craftsmanship. They conveys their skilful practical experience with light-hearted patience.
Students will work on a variety of exercises - designed to incorporate simple to advanced joints, adhesives and tools that build confidence and independence.
Over twelve weeks, we will cover many aspects of traditional carpentry tuition. There will be lots of practical exercises in each session.
- Introducing basic tools. Equipping a toolbox for home carpentry.
- Timber selection/marking out and cutting. Tips on woods, saws and drills.
- Using a plane, different types of planes. Sharpening tips and practice.
- Using a chisel and letting-in a hinge. Sharpening tips and practice.
- Simple joints and why we use them.
- Half joints, lap joints. Practice using chisels and planes.
- Bridle joints and even a simple dovetail.
It's fast paced but with the support of the tutors, over the final stages you will complete your own project to make a simple traditional tool box or shelf:
- Work from selected pine and measure, mark and cut pieces.
- Choose and make joints, assemble and secure with adhesive or screws.
- Sand and smooth to a stage where your project is ready for staining or waxing and taken home with pride.
All personal protection, the use of tools and basic materials are included.
|Start day||Date||Start time||End time||Course name||Course length||Price||Good to Know||Details||Register|
|Mon||06/01/2014||18:30||21:00||BASIC WOODWORK - CARPENTRY FOR ADVANCED BEGINNERS||12 weeks||£615.00||New advanced beginners course!||details||Book|
|Tue||07/01/2014||18:30||21:00||BASIC WOODWORK - CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - EVENING||12 weeks||£585.00||Sells out fast!||details||Available Spaces: 0|
|Tue||07/01/2014||14:30||17:00||CARPENTRY FOR BEGINNERS - DAYTIME||12 weeks||£585.00||Sells out fast!||details||Book|